The Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics and Management gives students the opportunity to benefit from the outstanding expertise of two top-ranking universities. Students of the programme benefit from the interdisciplinary approach and the participation of three faculties, the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Cologne and the Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences of Maastricht University.
The programme focuses on innovation in the healthcare sector and on current and future healthcare challenges. It is directed at students that want to pursue a career in the healthcare sector with an academic interest in innovation at multiple levels: individuals, groups and on an organisational level as well as regional, national and international. Students gain an in-depth understanding of health economics and innovation in health care. The international master’s programme prepares students for high-level management positions in the public and private health care sector. Students develop an interdisciplinary understanding of management, economics and medicine in the health care sector.
Students selected for the Double Master’s Programme in Health Economics complete their first year at the University of Cologne and their second year at Maastricht University. They follow a study path that is integrated into the regular course offer of both universities. The programme is taught in English. It is based on the mutual recognition of credit points and includes a joint master’s thesis which is supervised by professors at both universities. After successful completion of the programme, students are awarded two degrees: a Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management by Maastricht University and a Master of Science in Health Economics by the University of Cologne.
- Programme duration: 4 semesters, full-time
- Programme start: Beginning of October in Cologne
- Partner university: The Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences is one of the six faculties of Maastricht University. Its learning methods are based on the principle of Problem-Based Learning (PBL). The Faculty has a strong international orientation, evidenced by its international student body as well as its research. It has an excellent location in the centre of Maastricht.
- Degrees awarded:
Master of Science in Health Economics by the University of Cologne and
Master of Science in Healthcare Policy, Innovation and Management by Maastricht University
- Language: English
- Fees: Students pay a semester contribution at the University of Cologne for the duration of their studies (approx. EUR 260 per term including a student travel card which is valid on all public transport in North Rhine-Westphalia). In addition, students have to pay tuition fees at Maastricht University during their second year (approx. EUR1,980 for EU applicants; for more details on the tuition fee, please see the website of Maastricht University
Graduates of this programme will be particularly well prepared for careers at the interface of Management, Economics and Medicine. Possible positions include:
- High-level management positions in the public and private health care sector, for example in hospitals, healthcare centres, healthcare insurance companies or consultancy agencies;
- Policy officer in government institutions or
- Research positions at research institutes and universities.
Please check the website of the Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences, University of Cologne for more information on the programme, entry requirements and the application procedure.
More information on the website >
Phone: +49 (0)221 470-7702
Universität zu Köln
Faculty of Management, Economics and Social Sciences