Bachelor degree in social science or related fields or an equivalent
- Social Work
- Political science
An English Language Proficiency Test (e.g. TOEFL) or an equivalent that can be done at FAU
Course of Study
The Master of Arts in International Social Sciences is a non-consecutive study programme in the English language.
- 4 semesters (120 CP) offered
- It includes a practical training session of 8 weeks
- Introduction to International Social Management
- Theories of development
- Scientific methods and research approaches (Part I and II)
- Complex qualitative social research
- Complex quantitative social research
- Special social research
- Poverty analysis and poverty alleviation
- Human rights in social work, development cooperation and humanitarian aid
- Comparative religion and development politics
- International and comparative studies of applied social science
- International and comparative education
- Globalization and global governance
- Gender and social development
- Social security systems in developing, take-off and transformation countries
- International peaceandconflictresearch
- Participatory planning, management and evaluation of development projects
- Theories and practical relevance of related sciences in development cooperation
- Approaches and models to resolve social problems in developing countries
- Macro and microeconomic factors of development, micro credit projects
- Disaster response and humanitarian aid
- Tropical medicine
- Practical training
- Research oriented Master thesis
Possible career options
The Master of Arts International Social Science is an interdisciplinary course preparing students for a career in international social management.
- Professional employment as experts in international social management, development cooperation, disaster response and humanitarian aid
- Planning, management and evaluation of sustainable development projects
- Working with the rights based approach in the United Nations human rights system
- Managing anti-poverty programs with civil society organizations
- Engagement in non-violent conflict resolution, peace and reconciliation
- Active participation in various areas of Global Governance
FAU is actively involved in research projects in developing countries, benefiting poor and disadvantaged population segments. It cooperates with international academic institutions, state governments, United Nation agencies and civil society actors for holistic and sustainable development, upholding human and minority rights, social justice, peace and reconciliation. International job placements for graduates may be found from a pool of cooperating agencies.
Tuition fees >
Work stipends are offered by the University during the course of study and in the summer break. Stipends are offered by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) and complemented by the Society, Friends of Friedensau.
Theologische Hochschule Friedensau
An der Ihle 5
For further information see the follwoing website.
To website >
Friedensau was established as an institution of higher learning in 1899. Friedensau Adventist University (FAU) is financed by the Church and State recognized. The School of Social Sciences offers among others BA and MA courses in Social Work, Counseling, Music Therapy and Social and Health Management. FAU is located in the German State of Saxony-Anhalt about 120 km West of Berlin. The Master in International Social Sciences is accredited with a “more research-oriented accreditation”.