General Admission Requirements
All applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language by the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a result of at least 550 (PBT = paper-based test) or 213 (CBT = computer-based test) or 79 (iBT = internet-based test) points or another comparable performance, such as the IELTS (6.0) or the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (Grade B). Applicants who received their B.A. degree in an English-language study programme are exempt.
Admission Requirements M.T.S. (Adventist Studies)
A Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in Theology or Religion with an overall grade of at least “Good” (B+). Applicants with a B.A. degree in other fields of study must earn 60 credit points (or 1 year of study) in theology and acquire intermediate certificates in Greek and Hebrew (with a minimum of 90 hours of instruction in Greek and 60 hours in Hebrew); a language exam may be required for admission. At least 1 year of professional practice is a prerequisite.
Admission Requirements M.T.S. (Mission Studies)
A Bachelor degree (or equivalent) in Theology, Religion or Humanities with an overall grade of at least “Good” (B+). Applicants with a B.A. degree other than in Theology, Religion, or Humanities must earn 60 credit points (or 1 year of study) in one of these fields. Proficiency in a second modern language besides English (Common European Reference for Languages, Level B1) and at least one year of professional practice are required. Applicants must show a basic understanding of the contemporary challenges involved in Mission Studies by outlining their qualifications in a 1,000-word letter of motivation.
You find more information about the application process on our website >
12 Reasons to Study in the M.T.S. Programme at Friedensau:
- Discover the historic heartland of Protestantism
- Get to know Germany–right in the centre of Europe
- Make life-long friends with other international students
- Prepare for cross-cultural ministry to fulfil God’s mission
- Delve into Adventist history and theology, beliefs and values
- Reflect on the relevance of Adventism for the present and future
- Live on a beautiful campus, just an hour from Berlin, the capital
- Study with an internationally trained and highly qualified faculty
- Use the brand new library and its superior research facilities
- Enjoy four special weekend excursions to historic sites
- Choose between full-time study or three-week intensives
- Benefit from the university’s low-price policy
What does the M.T.S. programme offer?
This programme offers students advanced education in the field of theology which will broaden their horizon and deepen their knowledge in a selected area of emphasis. The general modules cover Biblical Studies, Systematic Theology, Historical Theology and Studies in Religion. Special attention is given to the contextualization of religious experience in history and society.
The M.T.S. programme is offered as both:
- a two-year full-time study programme (4 semesters) and
- a four-year part-time study programme (8 intensive courses, three weeks each)
Students select one of two areas of emphasis:
- Adventist Studies or
- Mission Studies
Why an M.T.S. programme in Friedensau?
From its beginning in 1899, Friedensau was seen as a school to serve an international constituency. In 1906, a Russian department was added, which prompted the arrival of many students from various parts of Russia. This vision contributed to the rapid growth of the school attracting more than 250 students by 1912. The department flourished until the beginning of World War I.
Today, large numbers of students are coming to Central Europe in order to profit from the insights and experiences of the Old World. Naturally, many are looking to Germany as the country where theology received and gave its most lasting inpetus. Friedensau is particularly qualified as an institution to meet the needs of students seeking a university degree in theological studies that equips them with skills necessary to serve church and society as intellectual and moral leaders.
Students need friends. Become a sponsor and support a student in Friedensau! Invest in the future! Contribute to the university endowment fund established specifically for the Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.) programme! Help build up God’s church and reach the world!
For more information, please, contact Rolf Pöhler or Stefan Höschele.
Is the M.T.S. programme for you?
If you are interested in one or more of the following …
- entering an academic programme devised especially for students looking for a European university education
- upgrading your education through a church and state accredited, research oriented postgraduate degree
- preparing yourself for a professional career in a leadership position within the Christian church or in contemporary society
- studying Seventh-day Adventism–its history, teachings, world view and changing role in the contemporary world–within the context of European culture, history and theology
- studying Christian or Adventist mission–including its history and theology, mission theory and practice–within the context of religious studies, world religions and global Christianity
- becoming a well-trained pastor, teacher, church administrator, cross-cultural worker or leader in development cooperation
- pursuing an academic career in fields such as Adventist studies, inter-church relations, denominational history or mission studies
- qualifying for doctoral work (thesis research)
… then the M.T.S. programme at Friedensau Adventist University is just the right programme for you!
General Information and Application:
Mrs. Irina Heinz, Admissions Office,
Theologische Hochschule Friedensau,
39291 Friedensau, Germany
Rolf J. Pöhler, Th.D. (Andrews University),
Phone: +49-511-640 93 63 or +49-3921-916-209
Dr. László Szabó
For further information about the programme visit our website
Go to website >